Vegetarian food doesn’t need to be boring and lacking in flavour. Give this simple but very tasty recipe a try for grilled halloumi with marinated mediterranean vegetables and hummus. The squeaky cheese can be a little bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it, but with all of the freshness going on with this recipe I don’t see how anyone could resist.
- 1 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1/4tbsp red wine vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 aubergine, 1cm cubes
- 1 courgettes, ½” slices
- 1 red onions, peeled and cut into 8’s
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500g halloumi, sliced 1cm thick
- 200g hummus
- 1 bag mixed leaf salad
- 4 pita pockets
- Combine the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and oregano in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper before adding the vegetables and tossing to coat evenly. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Setup your BBQ for 250c bulls-eye heat and preheat with a cast-iron Dutch Oven over the grilling heat for 15 minutes.
- Tumble the contents of the bowl into the Dutch oven and spread evenly before close the lid.
- With the lid down as much as possible, stir the mixture to turn a couple of times until the vegetables soften and catch some wonderful colour from the heat of the BBQ.
- Remove the vegetables from the Dutch oven to a large serving dish once they are cooked without going too soft. Add a teaspoon of oil to the Dutch oven and grill off the halloumi slices. They will take mere seconds to achieve some beautiful caramelised tones on each side. Once griddled on both sides remove to the serving bowl with the vegetables.
- Meanwhile toast the pita pockets to make crispy and warm, and take a small sharp knife to cut the pocket open along one edge.
- Place a quarter of the hummus in each pocket and spread across the inside, before popping in a handful of mixed leaf and a healthy portion of the griddled halloumi and vegetable mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!