With Summer in full flow it’s great to create side dishes inspired by what’s in season. This salad is packed with flavour as well as nutrients, and is so easy to prepare last minute or in advance. Pop it on the table with meats or fish this salad is a sure crowd pleaser.
- 200g frozen peas
- 200g frozen broad beans
- 150g asparagus
- 75g rocket, washed
- 3 stalks of mint, picked
- 50g parmesan shavings
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- Sea salt flakes & freshly cracked black pepper
- Bring a medium pan of salted water to the boil. Add the broad beans, then 2 minutes later add the peas. Cook for a further minute then drain. Return to the empty pan and fill with cold water. Drain again and refill with cold water. This will stop the peas and beans from cooking and lock in their vivid green colour! Once they are cool drain again and add to your serving bowl.
- Snap off the bottom of each asparagus stalk and discard. They will snap at the point where the woody root meets the fresh and tender stem. Cut the asparagus stems into 1-inch lengths on a bias and add to the peas and beans.
- In a small bowl add the lemon juice and oil and whisk to combine. Taste and season as necessary. Drizzle this over the greens in the bowl, add the rocket, mint and half the Parmesan and using your hands lightly tumble everything together in the bowl.
- Top with the remaining parmesan and serve.