Of all my food shots I’ve shown people recently, this Rare Roasted Herb & Mustard Encrusted Rump Cap seems to get everyone salivating! You will have to ask for it at your local butchers counter but trust me when I say, it is definitely something you need to know about and cook on your BBQ!
An individual muscle from the larger collection of muscles known as the Rump, this muscle has a beautiful texture and flavour; and once tasted you won’t soon forget! A little bit of simple prep in the morning will leave the rest of day free to enjoy some carefree family time before an early evening BBQ. Good quality meat, simple flavours and an easy cooking method; what’s not to like?!
- 800g Rump cap
- ½ pkt rosemary, stripped & chopped
- ½ pkt chives finely chopped
- 3 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped*
(*substitute with 1 tbsp Maldon Salt)
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the rosemary, chives, mustard, oil, anchovy (salt) and pepper in a bowl before massaging over the rump cap and leaving to infuse in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Remove the rump from the fridge 45 minutes before you’re going to cook it to allow it to come up to room temperature and soften.
- Setup your BBQ for 200-220oC 50:50 direct:indirect heat and preheat with the lid down and vents open.
- Put the Rump cap on the grill over the area of indirect heat and replace the lid, keeping vents fully open on a charcoal grill.
- Roast for 20 minutes before checking the internal temperature using a digital temperature probe. When the internal temperature reaches 55c move to the area of direct heat for 1 minute per side keeping the lid down as much as possible
*If you like your beef a little more well cooked, cook to 65c over the indirect heat before searing over direct heat for a minute per side.
- Remove from the BBQ to a warm plate, cover with foil and rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Serve this with a crushed new potatoes and a selection of fresh greens, and you will be scoring some serious brownie points!
Let me know if you give this a go and leave your comments below.